Tuesday 16 January 2018

What is 'Local Honey'?



Something I am asked all the time is 'Is this local honey?' which is often followed up by 'Local honey is supposed to be good for you'.
Unfortunately I have no idea what 'local' means so I don't attempt to answer this and just tell them where my bees are and let them decide. I try not to comment on the 'good for you'bit.

I don't know of any accepted definition of 'local' but some Farmer's Markets require produce to be made within a certain distance of the market, usually about 30 miles, but this has nothing to do with 'being good for you' but more an 'air miles' thing
I used to do a market at Stony Stratford [about 25 miles away] and once someone said he wouldn't buy the honey as it wasn't 'local'. I never had anybody else at the market who had a problem.
My regular markets are at Bromham [6 miles away] and Potton [15 miles] and nobody has ever had a issue with where my honey comes from.
So is the boundary of 'local' less than 25 miles? Bees normally travel a maximum of 5 miles to forage so is my honey 'local' to Bromham or Potton?
If it is, then why is the apparently magical Manuka honey so 'good for you' when it comes from 6000 miles away?

All honey is 'good for you' in the sense it has potential medicinal properties. ALL honey.
As everyone knows, bees make honey from the nectar of plants. Different plants produce different types of honey in terms of its colours and taste but bees do the same thing with all types of flowers. Nectar is watery and contains sucrose and the bees have a lot of work to do converting the nectar into honey by substantially reducing the water content and also breaking down the sugars in the nectar to sugars more easily digestible.
In winter the bees don't hibernate and want to expend as little energy as possible so its beneficial to feed on more easily digestible sugars So they add enzymes to the nectar to break down sucrose [a disaccharide] into glucose and fructose - monosaccharides.
As part of this process some of the sucrose is converted into gluconic acid which in turn produces hydrogen peroxide. This makes the honey acidic and is partly responsible for its medicinal properties.
Different plants produce different proportions of the sugars which will be reflected in the amounts in the honey but I have never seen anything that measures this. In any event bees make honey from any type of flower they can find. Although I could examine the pollen to find out what plants they are foraging on, I have no real idea of what they are foraging on

Its quite possible for a bee keeper to produce honey that is 'local' to somebody but it has been heated, micro filtered and blended reducing if not removing any medicinal properties.
For this reason I prefer to call my honey 'unprocessed'

Also I have no idea of what 'good for you' means. Is non local honey bad for you? How do you measure 'good' - with a Goodometer?

I expect the whole 'good for you' thing is tied up with the myth of honey being good for hay fever.
This is based on honey containing pollen from 'local' flowers. I did a blog about this and there doesn't seem to be any basis for this. Its possible for someone to live 'locally' yet the flowers in their area are completely different to the flowers in my bees area.
Is there any difference between say Oil Seed Rape flowers that are 'local'and OSR flowers from 50 miles away. Is the pollen different?

When I started doing markets my display sign for the honey referred to 'Local Honey'. It now says just 'Honey'

No comments:

Post a Comment