Monday 2 July 2018

Colony for the Top Bar Hive


I bought a basic TBH off eBay a few years ago but it was destroyed by woodpeckers.
I made another one and given my limited carpentry skills, was pretty pleased with how it turned out.
This type of hive is a bit of a curiosity for me and they operate in an entirely different way to 'normal' hives - see blog here.
In terms of honey production its not much good but I wanted it just to try another way of keeping bees.

I intended to populate it with what is called a package of bees - no frames just a box of bees with a queen in a small cage.
Eventually this didn't happen but an alternative way of populating the hive appeared, when a swarm took up residence in one of my bait boxes.

The software I use for this blog puts a limit on the size of  a video you can view directly in the blog so click here to watch the video in YouTube.

There will be another blog about the re-homing of the bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment