Tuesday 17 October 2017

Swarms are not dangerous

I recently gave a talk on bees to the Arlesey WI which was great fun. Before the talk I spoke to a couple of people who were both scared/terrified of swarms. Brainless headlines in the press like this don't help.

Swarms are a bit of a pet subject with me, mostly because the press coverage they get is usually the exact opposite of the truth and leads to people being unnecessarily afraid of bees.
I mentioned that this year I had handled a small swarm without suite, gloves etc - EEEEK! they said.

Hopefully my talk reduced their fears but I came across this rather nice video about a swarm that shows:-
 - they aren't 'Killer Bees'
 - you don't need to 'barricade' your house
 - they are not 'deadly'
- they aren't 'beasts'

Its a substantial size but dealt with by someone who didn't need to be suited up like an astronaut and clearly isn't in fear of his life.
All he needed was to spray some water to stop the bees flying for a while while he sorted things out.



No comments:

Post a Comment